Reagan Post Office
|Southern Pacific Depot
|Reagan 1st United
Reagan is at the intersection of State Highway 6 and
Farm Road 413, nine miles southeast of Marlin in
southeastern Falls County.
It was established in 1873, shortly after the Waco and
Northwestern Railroad completed the section of track
between Bremond and Ross. A post office opened that
year and was named for William Reason Reagan, who
gave land for the town site.
During the mid-1880s the community had two steam
gristmills, nine cotton gins, five general stores, two
hotels, a church, a district school, and 250 residents.
By 1890 Reagan had grown to 500 residents and had a
weekly newspaper, the Herald.
The community in 1905 had two one-teacher schools
with 117 black students and one three-teacher school
with 140 white students.
The reported population of Reagan reached a high of
600 in 1914, when the town included a bank and
assorted other businesses. The number of residents fell
to 500 by the mid-1920s and to 353 by the early 1940s.
The Reagan schools were consolidated with the Marlin
Independent School District in 1948. Reagan lost its rail
service in 1965, when the Southern Pacific abandoned
the section of track between Bremond and Waco. By
the early 1970s the Reagan population had fallen to
200, and it remains at that level today.
This article was written with information garnered from
the Handbook of Texas Online. Photos compliments of