|Present-day site at intersection of
Farm Roads 339 and 147
|Remains of Coit Cotton Gin
Coit is on Farm Road 339 six miles northwest of Kosse in southwestern Limestone
County. The site, at the center of a large farming area between Rocky Creek and the
Little Brazos River, was settled by Ben Eaton, who set up a horse-powered gristmill
there about 1848.
A local post office was established in 1898 with William J. McAllister as postmaster,
and W. J. Steele ran a gin. By 1871 the Houston and Texas Central Railway had been
constructed through the area and had attracted more settlers. In 1900 B. B. Brooks
opened a general store. The post office closed in 1905, however, and between 1910
and 1933 Coit's population rose from ten to only fifteen.
In 1946 the community reported fifteen dwellings, one school, two churches, and two
businesses, but its reported population had not changed. A single store existed at the
townsite in 1955, and population estimates were unavailable after 1966, when Coit
had eight buildings, Fairview Church, Clifton Cemetery, and three oil wells.
After 1970 a church, the Clifton and Gunter cemeteries, and one business remained
near the Coit oilfield. The population was listed as twenty-five in 2000.
This article was written with information garnered from the Handbook of Texas
Online.Photos compliments of www.texasescapes.com.